Ephesians 3:16-18

I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your
hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is (Ephesians 3:16-18).

Friday, March 16, 2012

A Long Winter



Although, we have experienced a mild and short winter in this little town, my spirit has experienced a long and moderate to severe winter. My heart has been heavy.  I have been more aware of tragedy lately.  I have taken the burdens and placed them on my shoulder, where they do not belong.  It is written in Psalm 55:22 "Cast your burden on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved."  I have asked, "Why pray, when You know what the outcome will be?" It has been a LONG winter season in my life.  I have experienced moments of spring, but they have only been moments.  

In my spiritual winter God has taught me and continues to teach more than I can express in writing.  It is a painful place to be, but at the same time it is so beautiful. It is a place where all is stripped away, except the love of a Heavenly Father.  In this winter He has told me to trust and hope in Him alone.  To fix my eyes upon Heaven.  To pray without ceasing, but also without expecting answers.  He knows my every need and hears each tear I cry and even in His quietness He holds me very tight. Sometimes I cannot feel, because my heart is just so weary, but even when my faith is as small as a mustard seed, He is moving mountains around me.  

"Although God knows our every need, His work He wants to share; He takes us in partnership By calling us to prayer." (DJD)
I believe another season will come in my spiritual walk and when it does I hope to embrace it and not take  any season for granted. I believe I will enjoy the spring and summer more than ever because what God is teaching in my winter.  



Father, 
I thank You for all seasons.  Winter is very difficult for me, because I have so many questions that go unanswered. It is the season when my heart grows weary and belief that all things will work together for the good of those who love you and are called according to Your purpose is hard to understand.  I will never understand Your ways, but I know I am not meant to understand them.  I know You are teaching me to trust in You alone, but it is a hard lesson and I am a hard headed person.  I am full of anxiety and fear.  I ask for Your forgiveness.  There is a reason to all things.  Your glory will be made known.  I long to see the day when all tears are wiped away.  Father draw close to those who hurt.  Let Your presence be felt.  I love you. In Jesus name I pray, amen.  

God Moves in Mysterious Ways by William Cowper
God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.
Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sovereign will.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence,
He hides a smiling face.
His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.
Blind unbelief is sure to err,
And scan his work in vain;
God is his own interpreter,
And he will make it plain.

4 comments:

Emily grapes said...

I knew someone who said they stopped praying because every time they prayed for something specific to happen, God would do the opposite or take it away. So she stopped praying for fear that if she prayed for the kids' health, He would make them sick (for example). Its sad.

I get it, why pray when you know how its going to turn out? But its those moments when He holds you close to get you through them.
Emily at Amazing Grapes

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

Spiritual winters are difficult but necessary. A friend recently reminded me that pain always changes us--for good or bad depending on how we engage it. But it always changes us. I'm praying that this winter of your soul will bring you to a spring of joy and wisdom.
I love the beautiful images you've included and the poetry.
Thanks for linking up to Bless and Be Blessed blog hop.
I'm praying your week will be rich in meaning no matter how difficult the lessons.
Gail

Megan said...

What a perfect way to describe it...a winter. I feel like this last month has definitely been like winter for my soul, but the last few days God has been restoring me and I am feeling SO blessed and grateful. Even when life is bad, it's good. I am so blessed.

Rachel Lundy said...

I'm sorry you are going through a difficult and long winter. I pray that you will continue to find your hope in the Lord. May He encourage you and give you strength and peace.

My favorite verse to read on the hard days is 2 Corinthians 4:16-17. "16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."